Friday 15 January 2010

Setting Up at Reawick Congregational Church


I've just got home from the West Side. Nayan and I worked very late last night and tonight to get the illumination finished at Reawick Church. This photo I took with my mobile phone shows Emma and Nayan working to set up the lights last night. I love the site for the way the church is perched on a hill overlooking the community.

Nayan and I drove around the voe in order to see how the lights worked from different viewpoints. We watched our test programme from a high point just opposite the church. When the lights are bright and crisp, the architecture of the church is emphasised. But from a distance, when we'd only illuminated the gable ends, I got a sense of sails as I was watching across the water, with all the local boats in view, too. Then blue lights made it almost seem like Mirrie Dancers. Someone in Yell described the way the illumination at the Sand Dunes seemed like the Mirrie Danciers. Just when you think you have the lights in focus, they change. I got this feeling tonight, too, in Skeld.

In this photo you can see Nayan working on the programming. It was so fine to be able to work indoors where it was warm and light. Usually we sit in the car to do this job!

2 comments:

  1. The lights look brilliant! I am enjoying coming home every evening to see the chapel lit differently... Included you guys in my blog today. It would be good to have your input on my side, or your side. Have you been getting any complaints or hassle yourselves? Cheers A. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a look at your blog tonight. Wow! I am so glad you're inspired to get your paints out again. I've not had many complaints or hassle myself, other than a man in Unst and Shortie in the Sideways interview! (see the blog entry) Just the opposite in fact, with people wishing us well and asking how things are going and, like you, telling us how much they're enjoying the illuminations.

    ReplyDelete